I have officially given this recipe
This dish may not have been ‘there’,
(‘there’ defined as my parents’ patio,
under a grapevine arbor my father welded
out of pipe,
covered in lush grapevine to ward
off the hot South Texas sun,
or as a delicious by-product of my mother’s kitchen,
during the 60’s and 70’s),
but it could have been.
It would have fit in perfectly.
High praise indeed.
Side dishes on my mother’s menu
had to have a little sass,
a la Jalapeno Cheese Rice,
and the ability to stand up to
My Mother's recipe
- 2 cans whole kernel corn - drained
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1 finely chopped red onion
- chopped red pepper
- chopped green pepper
- medium size bag chili cheese Fritos
Mix together and serve with chili cheese fritos
To set the stage even further,
follow the entertaining doctrine of my parents:
1. If you take a bottle to someone’s house, leave it.
2. Offer to bring something, but know you
will graciously be told ‘no thank you’.
Besides.. you will have your turn to shine in the kitchen for the next get-together soon enough.
3. Allow your children to run around and play in the yard and fall asleep
in the back seat on the drive home.
4. Play great music on the stereo.
5. Walk people to their car when your guests begin to leave.