Thursday, December 31, 2009
My New Year's Eve
While driving my grandsons home today (alone) , I had time to think as I played my IPod, creating a soundtrack perfect for New Year's Eve.
Add to that two little boys sitting in car seats behind me, a 7 hour drive, and 3 stops , (including Burger King in Riviera, an hallucinatory idea that we could all go into Blue Sky in Refugio and see what was on sale, and Prasek's for cookies) and all I could think to do (in between loud singing spells) was pray :
"Dear God, please give us traveling mercies to get my precious cargo home safe and sound to their mother and father."
So often I think of post topics while driving. Today was no exception. What to say on New Year's Eve?
Rather than aim my resolution thinking/praying at myself, because I know what falls under my word for the year( INTENTIONAL), I decided to think of things I wanted to say to my daughters.
* If you are dancing with someone to Brooks and Dunn's Neon Moon, and he just doesn't have the beat, change partners. Neon Moon dances for you for goodness sake.
* Don't fall into the trap of thinking you have to pick a political team. Keep thinking. Pick issues instead.
* Watch out for high blood pressure carriers. Remember Nonnie's (my mother's) famous line when asked if Papa (my father) had high blood pressure?
"No... he's a carrier."
* While you are young, value all of your friends- even if you are not particularly close or you do not always agree. Life has a way of coming full circle.
* Keep your love of old things- build your collections, and then start another one. Don't listen to the naysayers because until they've been bent over with their head in a box of junk, they just don't know.
*And finally- really believe that I love you, with ALL of my heart, and though these words have been said many times, it is important to me that you accept that I really, really love you.